I’ve been a bit miserable to be around this week due to an awful throat infection, Being sick sucks. On the plus side though I’ve used it as an excuse to request every known soup under the sun. I really wanted something easy on the throat but still packed full of flavor AND nutrition. (Not that I’m demanding or anything). I am very lucky to have such a creative husband, and now we can share this nutritious, dairy and gluten free Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup with you!
This winter has been particularly bad for me when it comes to illness. I really have caught pretty much everything going! Last winter I was the one running around the house bragging about how I didn’t get sick at all – Karma eh?
When I was a kid there was always an abundance of Soup in the freezer, usually either pumpkin or tomato. My Dad would make it in this giant old soup pot he had that had either been a wedding present or handed down from his grandparents. (Or possibly handed down as a wedding present?) Regardless of how he got it, whenever I think of soup I think of that pot and having enough soup to feed the family for weeks.
While you could no doubt make several litres of this soup if you wanted, the basic recipe is just a simple one for four and comes together in one pot in about 30 minutes. Perfect for making after a busy day, and packed full of vegetables. Rather than a standard creamy base, the recipe uses pureed cauliflower to achieve the same result – but its much lighter and a lot lower in fat!
I’m not saying this soup is magic or anything – but I have been eating it quite a bit this week and I am getting better 😉
I assume it’s the soup and not the antibiotics. #logic?
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 5-600 grams dark chicken meat (thighs & legs)
- 800 mls good chicken stock (warmed through)
- 400 grams cauliflower, chopped into small pieces.
- 1 medium sized red onion, finely diced
- 1 large capsicum, de-seeded and cubed (or another similar veggie)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (coriander, Italian parsley etc. as preferred)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL - another 100-200 mls of stock to achieve desired consistency.
- Place a large pot (i.e - a soup pot, ideally with a lid) on medium heat. Add the olive oil, then brown the chicken on all sides.
- Add the warm chicken stock and deglase the pot.
- Add cauliflower and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cauliflower tender.
- Remove from the heat. Take the chicken out of the pot and set aside to rest. Pour the cauliflower and stock into a separate bowl or pot to cool a bit.
- Return the empty pot to the heat and add the onions and capsicum along with a little oil and sautee until softened (4-5 minutes)
- Blend the cauliflower and stock until smooth, and add to the sauteed veggies.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer - use this time to shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken and corn to the soup, and cook through for 2-3 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, and adjust thickness of soup with a little extra stock if needed/preferred.
- Stir in the herbs, and serve hot.
Have a question about this or another recipe, or want to make a dairy-free recipe request? Email us at [email protected], or let us know in the comments below!